Grey Law

of Ventura County Inc

Q: My spouse or parent is going into a skilled nursing facility. Are we going to be wiped out financially?
Not necessarily. There are many things that can be done to make sure this won't happen. Though the Medi-Cal rules may seem complicated, it may be critical for you to determine how they apply and what you can do to protect your family member. 

Q: I signed this contract. What should I do?
Although you are obligated by civil law to honor any contract you signed, there may still be ways to reduce the potential downside. 

Q: I'm getting constant calls and letters from creditors. I can't pay them, and I can't seem to make ends meet.
Many of our clients have nothing except some furniture and their retirement. We may be able to offer some assistance in dealing with the creditors. Under most circumstances we will advise you to seek the assistance of a Bankruptcy Attorney, but we can help talk through your initial options. 

Q: I just got a letter from Social Security, and I don't understand it. 
Most letters from Governmental agencies say what they mean, just not in a language most lay people understand. Bring in the letter and we'll talk about it. 

Q: How is a Power of Attorney scary?
The power you grant to the person you designate is very broad - including selling your home and emptying your bank accounts. It is important to select the person wisely. We can talk with you about the person(s) you want to designate as your power of attorney. 

Q: What happens if I don't have a will?
Despite what many lawyers tell you, you may not need a will. But it's always safest to ask to make sure - especially if you are interested in who gets what after you die. We can talk to you more about your options. 


Who is eligible for Grey Law services?​

Ventura County residents who are 60 years old and older. 

How does it work?

Volunteer Grey Law attorneys visit senior centers throughout Ventura County. To set up an appointment call Grey Law at (805) 658-2266. Be prepared to give a short description of your issue. Go to the senior center where your appointment is scheduled - not the Grey Law office. Check in at the front desk at the center before your appointment time, and they will direct you to your attorney. 

What if I'm not a Ventura County resident?

Grey Law serves only Ventura County residents. However, other free or low-cost legal services for seniors are available. The California Department of Aging funds Legal Service Projects for older persons in other counties. Visit the Department of Aging Website for a list of legal service providers for California seniors. 

What services do you provide?

Common areas of advice include questions on: Social Security, Healthcare, Medi-Cal, Powers of Attorney, Advanced Healthcare Directives, Landlord Tenant Issues, and others. 

Do you provide referrals? 

Yes. If your concern involves an area of the law outside our scope, we provide a referral to an appropriate resource better suited to meet your needs. 

What are  examples of questions seniors ask Grey Law attorneys?

Below are some common questions asked by Grey Law clients:

Do you provide counseling or information about Medicare?
We often provide information on issues concerning Medi-Cal but less advice on Medicare. If you want free counseling and information on Medicare, please contact the Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) with the Ventura County Area Agency on Aging at (800) 434-0222 or (805) 477-7310. 

Where can I get more information on Medi-Cal and Long-Term Care?
We routinely meet with clients to discuss their situation and whether or not they qualify or might qualify for Medi-Cal. The California Association for Nursing Home Reform (CANHR) website has more information on Medi-Cal and Long-Term Care. We frequently have clients visit the site to help understand their situation.  

What is an advanced healthcare directive?
An advanced healthcare directive is a document that contains specific written instructions regarding medical care in the event patients are unable to speak for themselves. The document designates a decision-maker (such as a spouse, family member, or friend) to act for a patient. It usually becomes effective upon an identified event - usually when a patient becomes incapacitated due to injury, illness, or other causes. Contact us for more information on developing an advanced healthcare directive. 

Where are Grey Law services provided?

Grey Law services are provided at these senior centers throughout Ventura County:

-  All meetings are by appointment only

  • Fillmore

​​        Fillmore Senior Center, 533 Santa Clara St. Fillmore, CA 93015

  • Moorpark

        Moorpark Active Adult Center, 799 Moorpark Ave. Moorpark, CA 93021

  • Ojai

        HELP of Ojai - West Campus, 370 W. Baldwin Rd. Support Center Bdg. B-1 Ojai, CA 93023

  • Oxnard - 2 locations

        Wilson Senior Center, 350 North C. Street Oxnard, CA 93030, and

        South Oxnard Community Center, 200 East Bard Rd. Oxnard, CA 93033 

  • Port Hueneme

        Orvene S. Carpenter Community Center, 550 Park Ave. Port Hueneme, CA 93041

  • Santa Paula

        Santa Paula Senior Center, 530 W. Main St. Santa Paula, CA 93060

  • Simi Valley

        Simi Valley Senior Center, 3900 Avenida Simi Simi Valley, CA 93063

  • Thousand Oaks

        Goebel Senior Center, 1385 E. Janss Rd. Thousand Oaks, CA 91362

  • Ventura

        Ventura Avenue Adult Center, 550 North Ventura Ave. Ventura, CA 93001